Skip to main content

Dr A.P.J Abdul Kalam | Inspirational lesson | How to manage failure and success

  How to manage failure and success

Inspirational-quotes
      

This is a great lesson which no universitytaught me no book taught me but that one person that institution taught me such abigger lesson so I thought of sharing with you how to manage Success mostimportantly the failure i had to repeated a number of times I don't mind repeatingthat one incident that incident for me is a university education I'm not ready anywhere i have a so far ihave gone around the orbit 71 times around the Sun i have not gone through anyeducation such a beautiful education i got in seven 1979 1980.


 i thought ofsharing 

with you on this occasion it is like this 1979 august 17th  we wereready for launch of the satellite launch vehicle with 44 subsystem and thousandsof thousands of the components it was built in Vikram Sarabhai Space Center andat that time professor Satish dhawan was the Chairman space Commission andis also Space Center and he gave me the task 1973 to build a satellite launchvehicle to put a satellite in the orbit 


1973 he gave me this task in 79 wewere ready thousands of engineers ten thousands of workers and staff they allwork together then we moved that satellite that satellite launch vehicle from vikramSarabhai Space Center to the now Satish dhawan Space Center at sriharikota those so the launch vehicle was was in the launchpad and that  days 17th August 1979 and I am the mission director project directorand you're all the control center and computer takes over at t-minus eight minutescomputer take over it was very difficult for me as a mission director to checkhundreds of parameters so it has to be checked computer we handover the wholelaunch of the Rocket system system to the computer so when t-minus eight minutes came  


  i handed over to the computer for the launch on 17 august seven 1979 and thousands ofpeople are waiting for the launch mission centers and they're workingthroughout the country and some down train stations exactly at T-minus eightminutes computer tookover and then at t-minus four minutes computer put ahault it says don't launch 


so we're all because at that time the wholerocket system alive and everybody is a closed system propallent system electronicsystem all around ready to launch computer says don't launch at t-minusfour minutes that immediately a computer printout comes out there is some problemin the second stage control system there is a leakage so you don't launch behind me thereare number of experts six -seven experts my experts ten years twenty years  experienced people


i talk to them and they are there computers to find out what happened andthey tell me within a within a minute they say there's a problem in the secondstate control system and we cannot launch computer says but we believe as experts that the ignitor  that is oxidizer sufficiently more there eventhough there is a leakage in system you can launch they asked me to launch that is ican say the computer shut off the computer


 I can manually launch therocket system I took that i discussed with my experts Ibelieved in them i agree with them and responsible for it I immediately put the rocket in themanual mode so rocket took off hundred seconds beautiful launch and the rocketfirst stage did it's job its a four stage rocket system then thesecond stage took off with in a minute within a second it recorded to spin thatmeans which we study is control rocket system by guidance system but it wasgoing to spin 


I knew I lost the rocket system within few seconds instead ofputting the satellite into orbit the whole system went to Bayofbengal so it wasa failure and then how do you handle a failure is very important for theentrepreneurs life is not so simple is a we have to handle the failures with stoutheart my chairman with that is that professor Satish dhawan exactly 6 :30


 i was very tired ofcontinuously working he come to my room you join me for a press conference onthat day press call in the morning there is a press conference hundreds of  Pressreporters media people have assembled just Professor Satish Dhawan toldme I am going to handle the press conference you're going to come with me he tookme there was a press the national press international press they asked lot of questions how can he put 20 cores in Bayofbengal one guy asked and likethat so many serious questions after all people will ask us questions


 people's moneyso like that number of questions were there and professor Satish Dhawan said yes it's afailure first time we launched we have gained a lot of system and definitely wewill succeed i will give all the support , technologies and give the whole supposedto my scientist i will be will succeed in a year's time he said friends did youobserve what happened there I am the mission director i am theproject director I have failed the mission with me 5,000 people worked but chairmanIndian space research organisation 


he take the responsibility the failure hecompletely switched my  failure to his failure this is the leadership quality ex-exactly after one year that is eighteenth july 1980 we go to the launch pad  and countdown starts t-minus eight minutes  i handover to the computer computer checks out first stage you need it for it initiates the  rocket system first stage gives the required velocity second stage givesthe required velocity third state gives the required velocity and four stagerequired the escape velocity for to put the satellite in the orbit, 


i amseeing  in front of me what is performance taking place i took themicros with the mic announce all the station here is your mission directorthe satellite is into orbit and we congratulate you I told them no that'snot the important that's one of the important things happen but after 30minutes Satish dhawan called me go to the press conference you conduct the pressconference he said can you see the significance failure he took it and success 


 he gave me to my team just a great lesson is a great lesson yeah this is a great lesson which no university taught me no book taught me but that one personthat institution that taught me such a bigger lesson.

Comments

Popular Posts

JUDGING OTHERS:

A man once called for his four sons and sent each of them to go and look at pear tree that was miles away from their home. 1) One son goes to that tree in winter season. 2) The second in spring. 3) The third in summer. 4) And the youngest son goes in autumn. After a year passed father asked four sons. If they visited the tree and could describe to him what they have seen, 1) The first son said tree was ugly, bent, twisted, 2) Second son said are you kidding. The tree was covered with fresh green buds, 3) Disagreeing from two brothers the third son said it was full of blossom that smell so sweat. It is the most beautiful thing i had ever seen in my life, 4) Last son said they are all wrong dad. The tree was ripe and drooping with fruit It was so full of life. Dad explained to his sons they were all correct each of them had seen only one season in life of tree and then they taught them a lesson that you cannot judge a tree or a person by only one season or by o

Vision

1. A guy came and was grumbling about the problems, difficulties that he was going through, his relationship were in a deep mess, nobody was trying to understand him. Everything was going wrong and he had done nothing. 2. All through conversation he was asking that why this happening to me. Do what you can do to sort it out , If  its your fault, correct it, if its someone else's fault and that person is with in your access discuss with him communicate to them. 3. Often what we go through is neither our fault nor of someone. For example; A serious disease that we go through. we didn't do anything wrong to get it and nobody else did anything wrong to have us get it.  4. So how to deal with it. here what we do. A little boy once came running to his mother and asked her, What are you doing , mom ?. She replied, "I am making beautiful embroidered design on this nice cloth. little boy looked up to the cloth and said, A design? all I can see is just some colored threads yel

HOW TO GET YOUR BRAIN TO FOCUS

Translator: Viviane P.Reviewer: Amanda Chu A few years ago, I began to observesomething in my own behavior that made me a bit uncomfortable. And that was that from the momentthat I woke up to the end of the day, my life was a series of screens. I started the day with the thing that woke me upfirst thing in the morning, my phone, and so I sat there in bed watchingvarious cooking videos on Instagram and bouncing around between a bunchof different applications. But then it was timeto get out of bed and cook breakfast, and so the thing that I focused then on, in addition to the omelette in the pan, was the iPad that wasright next to the oven.  And then it was time to do some work, and so I went to a different screen which was attachedto another screen itself. All the while, this little devil on my wrist was tapping and beepingand blooping and distracting me as I was tryingto get important stuff done. But there was one particular offenderout of all of these different devices that I was